COLLINS LIMITED research and development offers all the technological expertise you need to develop your idea into a tangible product. Whatever your technical ambition, time frame or budget, we have the skill set required of the early development phase for your product or project.
From the outset we will study the physics and feasibility and explore scientific literature on the relevant topics. Computational simulation of the relevant physics can be achieved using our simulation services and includes both well-established and more bespoke and experimental simulation techniques. Designing test rigs to perform proof-of-concept work is immediately available to your project through our engineering design service. All aspects of electronic circuit design and software required for such tests can be developed and managed in-house, minimising the need for managing a collection of differently skilled service providers.
We can work to develop a relevant set of load cases for your envisaged system, then develop a design concept before adding the detail required to bring about a fully functional test unit.
If your concept uses established sciences in a very novel way, a literature survey is a valuable starting point. We would endeavour where necessary to:
- Find relevant papers on the science behind your project
- Establish the best of current research and available products in your concept’s field
- Research appropriate patents, regulations and standards for the technologies in your concept
With a sound grounding in the physical principles governing your concept, our computer simulation service can be used within research to:
- Conduct feasibility studies on your concept
- Develop load cases for any research test apparatus required
- Find boundaries in the science or engineering for the concept
If the concept is indeed found to be feasible, confidence can be gained with test rigs to validate parts of the concept and ensure that the contribution of each component in a system can indeed deliver what it promises. Systems and subsystems proposed for the technological solution can be studied with rig testing for
- stability of operation and
- the working limits of the technology.
With sound understanding of all technologies in the proposed solution, engineering concepts can be developed to bring the parts together under a single workable solution. Many concepts can be generated and compared using developed criteria for success.
- Develop a range of concepts that each meet the technical ambition of the project
- Develop metrics for project success to compare competing design concepts
With a short-list of solutions identified, we can develop some operating load cases be they thermal, mechanical, radiation or other, with which to test prototypes.
- Generate exhaustive set of load sources with magnitudes
- Establish worst-case combinations and permutations of loads
- Specify appropriate safety factors on all loads and combinations.
The final stage of research before handover to engineering design is prototyping. With all aspects of the concept understood and a concept emerging as the optimal, a functional prototype can be developed. This prototype can serve as the system for evaluating many aspects of the design:
- Manufacturing processes for parts
- Practical needs in service such as servicing and maintenance
- On-the-fly design components such as wiring and plumbing systems
- Practicalities of machine operation such noise, waste material ejection and accessibility
- Ergonomics of design for operator
- Consequences and cost of malfunction
Practical product development often cannot be exhaustively researched to catch every possible issue nor does any person have the ability to predict every possible eventuality. Prototype lab testing is the only answer to a cost-effective and real-world development process. We offer a full range of prototype development and test services to the research process.